Fredericksburg will celebrate our nation's independence with special events and activities from Thursday, June 30 through Monday, July 4, 2022.
July 4th Events in Fredericksburg
- Deck your kids out in their finest Fourth of July gear for the July Fourth Kiddie Parade at the Adelsverein Halle at Marktplatz. Decorate bicycles, pets, wagons and more for a chance to win special prizes. All children under age 12 are welcome to participate.
- After the kiddie parade, grab a spot on Main Street and stick around for the July Fourth Community Parade which kicks off at 10 a.m. The parade lines up behind the Gillespie County Courthouse and proceeds east on Main Street to the intersection of Main and Washington Streets. It then u-turns and heads west to Bowie Street. Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or park their vehicles along the route.
- After the parades, explore Main Street’s 150 unique shops and art galleries and cool off with a sweet treat, like delicious peach ice cream or an old-fashioned coke float at Clear River Ice Cream and Bakery on Main Street. Clear River boasts more than 30 ice cream flavors available each day- so pace yourself!
Note: Due to drought conditions, Fredericksburg's fireworks show has been postponed to later in 2022.
Fredericksburg Events on July Fourth Weekend
- Start your holiday weekend off with a trip to the Fredericksburg Farmer's Market on Thursday, June 30. Meet local farmers and growers as well as taste fresh Fredericksburg peaches and other produce and goods. The market is set for 4-7 p.m. at the Adelsverein Halle at Marktplatz.
- Explore the fine art galleries in Fredericksburg as they celebrate First Friday Art Walk. Participating galleries will be open until 8 p.m. on Friday, July 1. Galleries often include demonstrations, receptions and new shows. Just look for the galleries with the First Friday Art Walk flag!
- The National Museum of the Pacific War will host a special exhibit that explores World War II from the perspective of the Philippines.
- Head to the Gillespie County Fair Grounds on Saturday and Sunday, July 2-3 for live pari-mutuel horse racing. Nibble on local eats and enjoy the shaded stands while watching thoroughbred horse racing during the summer 2022 horse racing season debut at “Gillespie Downs”- the Gillespie County Race Track. Parents can even grab a cold one and place a few bets for their favorites, while everyone is sure to admire the horses as they thunder down the track. The family-friendly Gillespie County Race Track opens at 11:00 a.m. and post times begin at 1:00 p.m. Insider Tip: Skip the line by purchasing tickets online.
- Learn about the history of Fredericksburg and Gillespie County with a tour of the Old Gillespie County Jail on Saturday, July 2.
- Grab your lawn chairs and your cowboy boots and dance the night away at the free Community Dance slated for Saturday, June 2 at Marktplatz.
- Head to Luckenbach Texas to listen to the tunes of Pat Green and Corry Morrow.
- Attend the Nightly Bat Emergence at Old Tunnel State Park every evening at dusk from May through October, up to 3 million Mexican free-tailed bats emerge from an abandoned railroad tunnel at Old Tunnel State Park. Thursday through Sunday, be one of the first 70 visitors and get to watch from the lower viewing area for $5 per person. Upper viewing area is limited to 250 visitors and is free.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg! Find a full line-up of events this Fourth of July.