Experience everything Fredericksburg has to offer, on a budget. Find free things to do for all ages including history, shopping, exploring the outdoors and unique activities.
Walk Through History
Did you know that Fredericksburg was founded more than 175 years ago? There are plenty of opportunities to learn about Fredericksburg's past and present.
- Take a free walking tour. Experience the history of Fredericksburg with a walking tour of Fredericksburg's nationally-recognized historic district. Pick up more information at the Visitor Information Center, located at 302 E. Austin St.
- Visit the Lyndon B. Johnson State park and Historic Site. Get a glimpse of what life was like for former President Lyndon B. Johnson's grandparents and parents at Lyndon B. Johnson State Park and Historic Site. Explore walking trails, see American bison, Texas longhorns, historic cabins and more.
- Learn what farm life was like. Enjoy a self-guided tour of the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm where park rangers tend to crops, farm animals and prepare meals. Visiting at a holiday? The farm hosts special events throughout the year, including at Christmas and Easter.
- Learn about the war in the Pacific. Walk through the grounds of the National Museum of the Pacific War. The Plaza of Presidents features ten monuments honoring presidents who served during World War II. The Japanese Garden of Peace is a tribute to Japanese Admiral Heihachiro Togo, who influenced local Admiral Chester W. Nimitz. Both areas of the museum are open daily.
Fredericksburg has more than 150 shops and boutiques, making it the perfect place to window shop. You will find everything from home decor, men and women's clothing, handmade jewelry, antiques and more.
- Window shop on Main Street. Take a look through the windows of the Main Street's unique (no chains or franchises allowed on Main Street!) stores, boutiques and more. Note that many shops close at 5 p.m. so plan ahead to find that special something.
- Find treasures from years gone by. Fredericksburg is home to more than 20 antique stores so you will be sure to find something for you. Fredericksburg Trade Days is also home to more than 400 vendors, including several that sell antiques and relics. ($5 parking fee required) Check out these must- see antique stops.
- Explore the Warehouse District. Just off Main Street, the Warehouse District is home to home good stores like Carol Hicks Bolton Antiquities, Blackchalk Home and Laundry and more.
- Find artistic inspiration. Browse through Fredericksburg's art galleries. The Texas Hill Country has a long history of inspiring artistic creativity with the rolling hills, expansive skies and native plants and wildlife.
Explore the Outdoors
Get outside and enjoy the beautiful Hill Country landscapes and weather. Fredericksburg is home to several free outdoor parks and activities.
- Take a break and let kids burn off energy. Take the family to any of the playgrounds located at Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park, Old Fair Park or Marktplatz.
- Take a short hike to the top of Cross Mountain. Cross Mountain Park has an elevation of 1,951 feet and includes walking trails, a butterfly garden and picnic areas.
- See the beauty of the Texas Hill Country. Visit the nation's largest working wildflower farm, Wildseed Farms. Those visiting during the spring and early summer are sure to see everything from red poppies to Texas bluebonnets and everything in between.
- View the vast night skies. Fredericksburg offers night sky enthusiasts one of the best places to stargaze in the Texas. Fredericksburg is a designated International Dark Sky Community, providing low levels of light pollution and wide open spaces. Note that Fredericksburg will in the path of totality for the 2024 solar eclipse.
Listen to Live Music
The live music movement first started at Luckenbach Texas in the 1970s but Fredericksburg now boasts dozen of live music every night of the week.
- Listen to history. Luckenbach Texas is home to a free daily pickers circle featuring up and coming and seasoned musical artists. Grab a beer and sit under the large oak trees and enjoy a peaceful afternoon.
- Two-step or relax. Spend time on one of the several restaurants with patios and live music.
Out of the Ordinary
Classic cars, airplanes and peaches are just some of the unique and fun and free activities Fredericksburg has to offer, perfect for all ages.
- Take a step back in time. View an extensive collection of vintage automobiles from classics to street roads to muscle cars. Street Dreams, located just six miles from downtown Fredericksburg, also has an extensive collection of gas, oil and other automotive memorabilia. There is no charge to visit.
- Sip on a milkshake and watch airplanes. Enjoy classic diner favorites at the Airport Diner. The diner features 1940s-style decor including terrazzo floors, granite counters and booth tops. While eating, watch airplanes take off and land at the Gillespie County Airport.
- Enjoy fresh peaches. Visiting during the summer? Be sure to make time to pick and enjoy delicious Gillespie County peaches. Roadside markets and stands sell more than 40 different varieties from mid-May through mid-August. Several orchards offer the chance to pick your own fruit right off the tree.
- Meet growers and producers. Visit the weekly Farmer's Market and purchase peaches and other fresh produce and goods at the market held every Thursday through August.
- Plan a picnic. Grab your favorite snacks and picnic blanket and head to Marktplatz for a relaxing afternoon picnic. As a bonus, stop by the Vereins Kirche, and learn about the founding of Fredericksburg. (Note there is a $2.50 entry fee for children over 12, $1 for children ages 6-12, children under five are free.)