1. Visit a roadside stand - Pick up and dig into a basket of juicy, sweet Fredericksburg peaches. Gillespie County is home to more than 15 locally owned and operated roadside stands that all feature the freshest peaches - ripened in the Texas sunshine. Most are open from mid-May through mid- August. (Note that the 2021 season is expected to be one of the best crops ever!)
2. Cool off with peach ice cream from Engel Orchard or Gold Orchards - Beat the summer heat with homemade peach ice cream from Engel Orchard or Gold Orchards! It’s the perfect cool treat on a hot summer day.
3. Enjoy peach cobbler at Clear River Ice Cream and Bakery or Vogel Orchard - Stop in at Clear River Ice Cream and Bakery on Main Street for lunch and a summery sweet treat of peach cobbler or custom-make a peach cobbler ice cream sandwich with their delicious peach ice cream. If you are heading into town or headed back to Austin, stop at Vogel Orchard for Nelda's homemade peach cobbler.
4. Visit Das Peach Haus- Tour the historic grounds, see the peach orchard out back and taste Fischer & Wieser jams, jellies and other tasty products at Das Peach Haus.
5. Shop at the Fredericksburg Farmers Market - Shop like a local and find some locally-made products and delicious fresh produce- peaches included- at the Fredericksburg Farmers Market at Marktplatz every Thursday evening.
Looking for more ways to enjoy peaches?
The Stonewall PeachJAMboree will return for its 60th year June 17-19, 2021. Events include peach judging, crowning of the Peach Queen, parade, peach eating, pit spitting, food, mutton bustin', music and rodeo. Information on music performances, tickets, schedules and more can be found here.
Click below for a look at all the great places to buy fresh peaches and learn about the history of the sweet fruit around Fredericksburg, Texas.