1. Visit a roadside stand - Pick up and dig into a basket of juicy, sweet Fredericksburg peaches. Gillespie County is home to more than 14 locally owned and operated roadside stands that all feature the freshest peaches - ripened in the Texas sunshine. Most are open from mid-May through mid- August. (Note that the peak time for peaches this 2023 season will be through mid-June. Growers expect quantities of later freestone varieties to be limited.)
2. Cool off with peach ice cream from Engel Orchard or Gold Orchards - Beat the summer heat with homemade peach ice cream from Engel Orchard or Gold Orchards! It’s the perfect cool treat on a hot summer day.
3. Enjoy peach cobbler at Clear River Ice Cream and Bakery or Vogel Orchard - Stop in at Clear River Ice Cream and Bakery on Main Street for lunch and a summery sweet treat of peach cobbler or custom-make a peach cobbler ice cream sandwich with their delicious peach ice cream. If you are heading into town or headed back to Austin, stop at Vogel Orchard for Nelda's homemade peach cobbler.
4. Visit Das Peach Haus- Tour the historic grounds, see the peach orchard out back and taste Fischer & Wieser jams, jellies and other tasty products at Das Peach Haus. Or head next door to Dietz Distillery and try seasonal cocktails made with fresh fruit from the orchard.
5. Shop at the Fredericksburg Farmers Market - Shop like a local and find some locally-made products and delicious fresh produce- peaches included- at the Fredericksburg Farmers Market at Marktplatz every Thursday evening through mid-August.
Click below for a look at all the great places to buy fresh peaches and learn about the history of the sweet fruit around Fredericksburg, Texas.