Ring in 2023 in Fredericksburg with these great events around New Year’s Day in the Texas Hill Country.
- Countdown to 2023 at the City of Fredericksburg's Countdown to the New Year at Marktplatz. The family-friendly event will be held from 3- 6:30 p.m. and features children's amusements, face painting, dance performances, free activities and arts and crafts and more. The ball drop will conclude the event at 6:30 p.m.
- Spend time outside at the Cross Mountain New Year's Eve Walk. This is a non-competitive walk in the old German tradition of Volkssporting. Walkers begin at 11 a.m. at Cross Mountain and must be finished by 4 p.m. Or join a park ranger on New Year's Day for a guided hike at Enchanted Rock. Hikes will begin at 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Note that reservations are required for park entry and can be purchased up to 30 days in advance. Lyndon B. Johnson Sate Park and Historic Site will also host a guided New Year's Day hike. Hike begins at 10 a.m. at the Visitor Center.
- Enjoy live music throughout Fredericksburg and the surrounding area on New Year's Eve and into 2023
- Ring in the New Year dancing to the sounds of a 1940s-style big band featuring Bill Smallwood and The Lonestar Swing Orchestra at the New Year's Eve Hangar Dance. Concessions will be available for purchase. A costume contest will be held for those wearing their best 1940s inspired outfits. Tickets are limited.
- Head to Hill Top Cafe's New Year's Eve Dinner Concert, featuring Johnny Nicholas and Hell Bent. Early seating is at 5 p.m. with music at 6:30 p.m. and ending at 8:45 p.m. Late seating begins at 9 p.m. and the party lasts until the champagne runs out. Tickets are limited.
- Don't miss Fredericksburg's Christmas Nights of Lights with thousands of twinkling Christmas lights at the lighting of the German Christmas Pyramid and the Community Christmas Tree each evening at 6 p.m. at Marktplatz through Friday, January 6. Note that the lighting program will not take place on New Year's Eve but the lights will still turn on.
- In general, most shops, restaurants and wineries will be open on New Year's Eve, while typically 50% of the businesses will be open on New Year's Day in Fredericksburg.
Not sure where to start with your planning? Check out these sample itineraries to help you plan your perfect trip.