History & Heritage Events
- SEP 22 2019 St. John Lutheran Annual Homecoming and BBQ Many families living in the Crabapple community originally were members of Zion Lutheran Church in Fredericksburg. However, because of travel distance and other difficulties, they started to meet in the Mathias Schmidt home. When a school building was built in 1877-78, the families met in it, and Pastor Weiss served this devoted group of Lutherans. […]
- OCT 02 2019 Historical and Architectural Walking Tour of Fredericksburg (Wednesdays) The Pioneer Museum continues its walking tour of Fredericksburg that will begin at the Schandua House at 111 E. Austin St. The tour time lasts approximately two hours. The tours will be guided by Fredericksburg natives and will cover areas not normally available to visitors. Learn about the origins of German immigration to Texas, hear […]
- OCT 12 2019 “From Rags to Riches” at Lyndon B. Johnson State Park & Historic Site Learn how to repurpose old fabric into something beautiful! When you tear an old shirt, or a sheet starts to fray, do you throw your old fabric away? Frugal farmers knew how to use old rags in beautiful – and practical – ways. Set aside some time to visit the Sauer-Beckmann Farm to discover how […]
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- Jacob Brodbeck Reached for the Sky in Texas Tatsch, Anita. Fredericksburg, Texas: Dietel & Son Printing, 1986.
- A Kid’s Guide to Exploring Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park Warren, Betsy. Tucson, Arizona: Arizona Lithographers, 2000.
- The Texas Hill Country— A Food and Wine Lover’s Paradise Thompson-Anderson, Terry. Fredericksburg, Texas: Shearer Publishing, 2008.