History & Heritage Events
- DEC 16 2018 49th Annual LBJ Christmas Tree Lighting Join the Texas Hill Country community in this special tradition started 49 years ago by President and Mrs. Johnson. Enjoy carolers, a live nativity, Santa Claus, refreshments and, of course, the spectacular tree lighting. Then revisit the past at the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm. 6 pm. Free admission.
- JAN 07 2019 “Buying and Selling in Gillespie County” Exhibit at the Vereins Kirche Highlighting storefronts and merchandise found in Gillespie County throughout its history. Stories of the past and present are included, extending from Burg’s in Stonewall to Floyd’s in Harper and many in between. Free during regular museum hours of 10 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Saturday (closed Sun and Wed).
- JAN 19 2019 Nebgen Historic School Open House Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, docents will be on hand to share stories from school days past. Driving map available online or at the Visitor Center at 302 E. Austin. 11 am to 4 pm.
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- The German Texans Lich, Glen E. San Antonio, Texas: The University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures, 1981.
- Pioneers in God’s Hills Gillespie County Historical Society. Austin, Texas: Eakin Publications, Inc., 1960.
- Chester W. Nimitz, Admiral of the Hills. Casad, Dede W. and Driscoll, Frank A. Austin, Texas: Eakin Press, 1983.