History & Heritage Events
- FEB 01 2019 “Songs of the Patriot” Exhibit at the National Museum of the Pacific War “Songs of the Patriot” takes viewers back in time to the American wartime fronts at home and abroad during World War II through the cover art and lyrics of popular sheet music from 1940 to 1945. The exhibit explores how music publishers, songwriters and cover artists expressed a range of American wartime feelings from anti-war […]
- FEB 16 2019 “Little Pioneers” Activities at the Pioneer Museum (Feb) The Gillespie County Historical Society and the Pioneer Museum introduce “Little Pioneers”, monthly activities teaching pioneer ways. The activity for February will be “Make Bread and Churn Butter”. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Event to be held on the Pioneer Museum grounds. 10 am. $3 per child and one free admission for the […]
- FEB 16 2019 Nimitz Junior Corps “Texans Pitch In During WWII” at the National Museum of the Pacific War (Feb) Kids ages 8 to 12 will learn how Texans of all ages helped win WWII. We will go on a scavenger hunt in the Bush Gallery for famous Texans who played important roles in the war and on the home-front. We will be making bluebonnet seed bombs while we learn about the Bluebonnet Ordinance Plant […]
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- Fredericksburg, Texas — Living With the Past Watt, Don & Lynn. Fredericksburg, Texas: Shearer Publishing, 1987.
- Fredericksburg, Texas: 150 Years of Paintings and Drawings Maguire, Jack. Fredericksburg, Texas: Burdett & Associates, 1995.
- Claudia Taylor (Lady Bird) Johnson Horwitz, Margot F. New York, New York: Children’s Press, 1998.