Many families living in the Crabapple community originally were members of Zion Lutheran Church in Fredericksburg. However, because of travel distance and other difficulties, they started to meet in the Mathias Schmidt home. When a school building was built in 1877-78, the families met in it, and Pastor Weiss served this devoted group of Lutherans. On April 3, 1887, (Palm Sunday), the first confirmation of six children took place at which time they were accepted as members. The "new" St. John Lutheran Church building was built in 1897, and worship services were discontinued in 1962. The St. John Lutheran Community Association was organized in 1963, and the Annual Homecoming worship services and celebrations have been held since 1977.