Nightly Bat Emergence
- Presented By: Old Tunnel State Park Bat Cave
- Dates: May 1, 2021 - October 31, 2021
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Location: Old Tunnel State Park
- Address: 10.5 miles south on the Old San Antonio Rd., Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- Phone: (866) 978-BATS (2287)
- Time: From 5:00 PM until dark
- Price: Free any day from sunrise until 5 pm. No permit or entrance fee required. After 5 pm for the upper area is $2 per person regardless of age. The fee for the lower viewing area is $5 per person regardless of age. Limit 5 permits per customer.
Every evening at dusk from May through October, up to 3 million Mexican free-tailed bats emerge from an abandoned railroad tunnel! Permits for both the upper and lower viewing areas are available for purchase 60 days in advance for dates during the months of May through October. Permits must be purchased online. No permits will be sold at the park and capacities are limited. No visitors will be allowed in the park after 5 p.m. without a permit. Children must be at least 4 years old to go to the lower viewing area.
Please check the Facebook page for current emergence time and additional visitor information.