Thanksgiving Weekend Getaway OCT 17 2019
There’s plenty to be thankful for in Fredericksburg, so grab the kids and your relatives and head to the Texas Hill Country for a fun Thanksgiving getaway! Here are great Fredericksburg to-do’s that are for the whole family:
- Two-step or tap your toes to some great live music by Dale Watson during the Thanksgiving Ball in Luckenbach Texas on Wednesday, November 27. Luckenbach’s iconic dancehall is the perfect place to take your family photo for the annual Christmas card.
- Kick off the holidays with twinkling Christmas lights at the lighting of the German Christmas Pyramid and the Community Christmas Tree on Friday, November 29. Insider tip: Bring your camera for tons of photo opportunities (even one with Santa Claus) – especially for those last minute Christmas cards!
- If skates are more your style, head to Marktplatz to enjoy outdoor ice skating as Eisbahn makes its annual debut the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 30 (and runs through Sunday, January 5, 2020). Race your friends and family around the rink, take a spin or two, or just try to keep your balance – no matter your skill level you’re bound to have a blast!
- Enjoy a festive, pure classic country show with Christmas tunes as the Gatlin Brothers present “Country and Christmas” at Rockbox Theater Friday and Saturday, November 29 and 30.
- Go on a treasure hunting adventure at the Fredericksburg Trade Days Holiday Encore, where you can shop seven barns and more than 400 vendors who will have the perfect gift for anyone on your Christmas list, or attend The Peddler Show, where you’ll find three buildings of talented designers, artisans and craftsmen from all over the country. For a full list of Thanksgiving weekend shopping opportunities, click here.
- Run off some of those Thanksgiving eats during the 9th Annual Turkey Trot and 10K Run/Walk on Saturday, November 30.
- Try your hand at holiday crafts and activities from the early 1900’s at the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm on Saturday, November 30. This “Deck the Halls” event at Lyndon B. Johnson State Park will feature edible ornaments, wreath and candle making and more!
- Explore your creative side with an Art and Vino Painting Class on Saturday, November 30. Paint, canvas, and brushes are provided to complete the featured artwork for the evening “Christmas Tree Truck.”
- Take it easy and casually shop the more than 150 shops, boutiques and art galleries along Main Street. Catch up on your Christmas list while admiring the holiday décor that makes everyone smile with holiday cheer.
- Fill up your water bottles and hike Enchanted Rock to wake up from that tryptophan stupor. The beautiful autumn scenery and cooler temperatures make for an enjoyable adventure. The trek to the summit or the trails around the beautiful granite dome may not be a cakewalk, but it’s certainly a ton of fun for the whole family. Don’t forget your camera! Note: Enchanted Rock State Natural Area is open Thanksgiving Day, but be sure to reserve your entry pass now – the park may reach capacity!
- Enjoy Texas Wine Country with the Texas Hill Country Wineries “Christmas Wine Affair” as vineyards and tasting rooms are cloaked in lights, warmth and holiday fun. For 17 days, enjoy 48 participating wineries in the beautiful Texas Hill Country, tasting your favorite wines with full complimentary tastings per person at each winery.
- Take a tour of Fredericksburg, whether are you are looking for a Food and Wine Walking Tour or a Holiday Jolly Trolley Christmas Lights Tour, experience the holidays first hand with these great tour options taking place on Saturday, Nov. 30.
For more ideas on how to enjoy the holidays in Fredericksburg, visit holidays.visitfredericksburgtx.com.