Find a treasure trove of locally made keepsakes! JUL 02 2019
This time, forgo the snow globes and bring home something authentically Fredericksburg. You can walk into almost any shop and find something made locally. Here are a few ideas to go along with your “I (heart) FBG” t-shirt.
- Locally Created Art: Fredericksburg and Gillespie County has a large population of local artisans, so just about every one of our more than 15 art galleries (and several other shops) will feature work by local artists. You’d be surprised at the number of our local artists that show regionally, nationally and even internationally as well. Discover stunning woodwork, painting, mixed media, mosaics, sculpture, and ceramics — even unique stone collage art. Keep your eyes open. You may hear something calling your name.
- Culinary Food Craftsmen: Did you know we have a “no chains on Main” philosophy? Most of the restaurants in this area are locally owned and operated with creative chefs crafting the menus. In addition, Fredericksburg is home to Opa’s Smoked Meats and Fisher & Wieser Specialty Foods—both with retail shops where you can taste and “get something to go.” Satisfy your sweet tooth with homemade candy, fudge, ice cream and every flavor of popcorn you can imagine at one of our sweet spots. Last but not least, don’t forget our peaches, blackberries and strawberries. Pick em’ right off the vine (or tree) — when they’re in season, of course.
- Wineries: Fredericksburg is at the heart of Texas Wine Country and with more than 50 wineries and tasting rooms located in the Fredericksburg area, you can find local wine just about anywhere you look. In addition to our 290 Wine Trail which guides you to countless wineries in and around Gillespie County, our Urban Wine Trail will guide you to all the tasting rooms located in the Fredericksburg downtown area.
Insider Tip: The Urban Wine Trail is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time in Fredericksburg but want to sample several wineries but still fit in shopping, cuisine and live music.
- Jewelry: This is another popular “souvenir” to bring home. Fredericksburg has several amazing jewelry artisans ranging from elegant stones to beautiful beaded work to charms and pendants of every kind. Getting engaged in Fredericksburg? What better way to commemorate the occasion than by getting your rings from one of our local jewelers.
- Boots: Nothing says “Texas” like a pair of custom fit and custom designed cowboy boots. Stop by L.M. Easterling Custom Boot Company and get fitted during your visit and your one-of-a-kind souvenir will arrive after you get home.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Be sure to ask when you go into stores about any locally crafted items they may have. Happy shopping!
See our full list of shops here.