Fourth of July Week in Fredericksburg Filled With Family-Fun Activities MAY 05 2019
Since July 4th falls on a Thursday in 2019, Fredericksburg will celebrate with four days of activities for all ages. Here are a few of the events planned from Thursday, July 4, to Sunday, July 7.
- Deck the kids out in their finest Fourth of July gear and kick off the Fourth of July festivities on Wednesday, July 4, at 8:00 a.m. during the annual July Fourth Kiddie Parade at Marktplatz, featuring bicycles, pets, wagons and, of course, kiddos decked out in red, white and blue! After the kiddie parade, grab a spot on Main Street and stick around for the July Fourth Community Parade which kicks off at 10:00 a.m. After the parade, a special Patriotic Program will take place at Marktplatz.
- After the parades, explore Main Street’s 150 unique shops and art galleries and cool off with a sweet treat, like delicious peach ice cream or an old-fashioned coke float at Clear River Ice Cream and Bakery on Main Street. Clear River boasts more than 30 ice cream flavors available each day- so pace yourself!
- Enjoy a number of special events throughout the day:
- Sample chili, enjoy entertaining chili cook showmanship, wine tasting and live music during the July 4th Chili Cook-off at Becker Vineyards from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Drink Texas Wine during the Reds, Whites & Blues Celebration at Lost Draw Cellars on Thursday, July 4. This 5th annual Independence Day Celebration will feature new wine releases and blues music as well as hot dogs starting at 11:00 a.m.
- Head to Texas Heritage Vineyard for the “Come Together for America” event from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with games, decorations and food, plus wine to celebrate the July 4th
- Enjoy a day of fun in Luckenbach Texas with a Classic Car Parade, Lucken Pong and Washer Pitchin with live music and more during the 4th of July Celebration in Luckenbach Texas.
- The Gillespie County Airport and the Hangar Hotel will host a 4th of July Celebration, which will feature great food, patriotic music and a great view of the fireworks.
- Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course will host a Night Golf tournament, starting at 5:30 p.m.
- Wrap up July 4th with the annual July Fourth fireworks show at Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park at around 9:30 p.m. Spread out your blankets on the grass, enjoy your snacks and drinks and watch the starry Texas Hill Country sky burst with color.
- Sing along with the 50’s Rock ‘n Roll Show at Rockbox Theater on Friday and Saturday, July 5 and 6. Sting Ray Anthony and his band “The Stingers” will perform an unparalleled tribute to some of the greatest music in the history of early Rock ‘n’ Roll including Ritchie Valens’ hits plus tunes by Elvis, The Ventures, Bobby Darin and many others at Rockbox Theater.
- Attend the Nightly Bat Emergence at Old Tunnel State Park every evening at dusk from May through October, up to 3 million Mexican free-tailed bats emerge from an abandoned railroad tunnel at Old Tunnel State Park. Thursday through Sunday, be one of the first 70 visitors and get to watch from the lower viewing area for $5 per person. Upper viewing area is limited to 250 visitors and is free.
- View world-class art during the First Friday Art Walk on Friday, July 5. Participating fine art galleries will remain open until 8:00 p.m. so that visitors can have time to visit the various events and exhibits planned throughout the day and enjoy local refreshments.
- Enjoy some live music at the historic Hill Top Cafe. The Independence Jam on Friday and Saturday, July 5 and 6, will feature Johnny Nicholas, Walt Wilkins, Danny Levin, Emily and Dick Gimble, Scrappy Jud Newcombe and many more.
- The WWII Pacific Combat Program at the National Museum of the Pacific War runs twice a day on Saturday and Sunday, July 6 and 7. Grab some tickets and see history come to life.
- View some of the of best dark skies in the State of Texas during the Stargazing Party at Hilmy Cellars on Friday, July 5, from 9:00 p.m. to midnight.
- Featuring the wines of Texas South Wind Winery, experience a Fruit Wine Extravaganza at Texas Vineyards & Beyond on Saturday, July 6, from noon to 6:00 p.m.
- Grab a friend and explore your creative side at the Art and Vino Painting Class on Saturday, July 6, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Don’t miss this opportunity to see two Texas country music legends during the Pat Green & Cory Morrow Concert at Luckenbach Texas on Saturday, July 6, with doors opening at 6:00 p.m. and the outdoor show starting at 8:00 p.m.
- Cheer for the ponies at the Gillespie County Fairgrounds during the live pari-mutuel quarter horse and thoroughbred races on Saturday and Sunday, July 6 and 7. Nibble on local eats and enjoy the shaded stands while watching thoroughbred horse racing during the summer 2019 horse racing season debut at “Gillespie Downs”- the Gillespie County Race Track. Parents can even grab a cold one and place a few bets for their favorites, while everyone is sure to admire the horses as they thunder down the track. The family-friendly Gillespie County Race Track opens at 11:00 a.m. and post times begin at 1:00 p.m. Insider Tip: Skip the line by purchasing tickets online.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg! For a full line-up of events this Fourth of July, click here.