3-Day Weekend Getaway to Fredericksburg, Texas
Day One – Friday
- Arrive in Fredericksburg. Stop at the Visitor Information Center, located at 302 East Austin Street downtown, for a friendly welcome, maps and directions, information on restaurants and shops, a weekend schedule of live music and more. Watch our 10-minute welcome DVD on Fredericksburg’s history and attractions.
- Check into your lodging property – maybe it’s a modern hotel, a historic log cabin, a charming inn or a flat over one of the shops along Main Street.
- Stroll Main Street for a preview of the shops, restaurants and museums located in the historic district. Note – many of the shops close around 5:30 or 6:00 p.m. on Fridays.
- For the First Friday Art Walk Fredericksburg, about a dozen art galleries remain open till 8:00 p.m. so the first Friday of the month is a great time to visit.
- Enjoy dinner at one of our restaurants – you choose whether it’s Biergarten casual or fine dining or something in between.
- Finish out your evening with some live Texas music at Hondo’s on Main, Crossroads Saloon & Steakhouse, The Auslander, The Officer’s Club at The Hangar Hotel, Silver Creek or the legendary Luckenbach Texas.
Day Two – Saturday
- Early to rise this morning for an awe-inspiring hike to the top of Enchanted Rock – estimated to be one billion years old. The state natural area opens for day use at 8:00 a.m. You might consider taking breakfast or a snack from one of our great bakeries with you. And don’t forget to take plenty of drinking water with you.
- On your way back into town, stop at the Pioneer Museum, located at the corner of West Main and Milam Streets to learn some of the history of the German settlement of Fredericksburg and the Texas Hill Country.
- Now it’s time for a quick lunch. Several cafes downtown have outdoor patios, just perfect for people watching.
- This afternoon spend some time shopping along Main Street — clothing boutiques, jewelry craftsmen, art galleries, western wear, home décor, an authentic variety store – it’s all here.
- Or you may want to cruise Wine Road 290 – sipping some great Texas wine at a couple of the ten wineries that are on or near U.S. Highway 290 from just west of Fredericksburg to just east of Johnson City. The Texas White House at the LBJ Ranch is located right in the heart of wine country near Stonewall and makes a great stop for some history on the 36th president of the United States.
- Enjoy dinner at one of our great restaurants.
- At 8:00 p.m. it’s time for a high energy, live musical show at Rockbox Theater, showcasing music from the 50s, 60s and 70s. The theater is located just one block off Main Street on North Llano – walking distance from numerous restaurants. Note: weekly shows are Fridays at 8:00 p.m., Saturdays at 4:30 and 8:00 p.m. and Sundays at 1:30 p.m.
Day Three – Sunday
- The National Museum of the Pacific War opens at 9:00 a.m. each morning and makes a great stop on a Sunday morning to reflect on ordinary people and their extraordinary accomplishments during World War II. Allow at least two hours for this amazing museum.
- Sorry, it is time to check out of your lodging property!
- Stop for lunch or Sunday brunch at one of our restaurants as you prepare to depart Fredericksburg for the trip back home.
Truth be known, we’ve got more fun than a weekend will accommodate. So check out our suggestions for five and seven day itineraries in Fredericksburg and the Texas Hill Country!