History & Heritage Events
- APR 28 2017 Fredericksburg to New Braunfels Spring Trail Ride Annual trail ride from Fredericksburg to New Braunfels, Texas, with stops in Luckenbach, Sisterdale, Kendalia and Spring Branch. The ride will begin at the Gillespie County Fairgrounds. Please visit the website for more information on how to participate. Spectators welcome!
- APR 28 2017 Fort Martin Scott Days Two days of continuous Living History featuring Military, Frontier Lawmen, Native Americans and Civilians representing the fort’s active time period with special events for children. Friday is School Day with planned activities for School Groups (including Home Schoolers). Pioneer Crafts, Musicians, Story Tellers and more. Each day visitors will experience Flag Ceremonies, Military Drills, Life […]
- MAY 02 2017 “Texas Writers” Exhibit at the Vereins Kirche This exhibition surveys the breadth of creative writing in Texas from the mid-twentieth century to the turn of the twenty-first century. “Texas Writers” provides an overview of the literary accomplishments of Texas writers featuring portraits of authors, books, workplaces, narrative settings, and evocative quotations. 10 am to 4:30 pm Tuesday through Saturday. Free.
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- Pioneers in God’s Hills (Volume II) Gillespie County Historical Society. Austin, Texas: Boeckmann-Jones, 1974.
- Fredericksburg, Texas: 150 Years of Paintings and Drawings Maguire, Jack. Fredericksburg, Texas: Burdett & Associates, 1995.
- The Texas Hill Country— A Food and Wine Lover’s Paradise Thompson-Anderson, Terry. Fredericksburg, Texas: Shearer Publishing, 2008.