History & Heritage Events
- JUL 04 2016 Wrede Historic School Open House This school is located on the year round Gillespie County Rural Schools Trail and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tour the school with former students and community members beginning at 3:30 pm and then enjoy a hot dog supper with all the trimmings. Patriotic music and entertainment throughout the evening and fireworks watching at dusk […]
- JUL 04 2016 July 4th at the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm Join us as we celebrate Independence Day the old-fashioned way at the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm at the Lyndon B. Johnson State Park & Historic Site. Park interpreters attired in period clothing will share the history of the German farmstead. Visitors are encouraged to participate in washer pitching, sack/stickhorse races and corn husk doll making. […]
- JUL 05 2016 Admiral Nimitz Foundation Distinguished Speaker Series w/ADM. Mike Mullen The former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff will be the guest of honor at this year’s Admiral Nimitz Foundation’s Nimitz Dinner. Considered perhaps one of the most influential Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in history, Admiral Mike Mullen takes a fresh approach to the most important geopolitical issues of the 21st […]
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- Jacob Brodbeck Reached for the Sky in Texas Tatsch, Anita. Fredericksburg, Texas: Dietel & Son Printing, 1986.
- Fredericksburg, Texas — Living With the Past Watt, Don & Lynn. Fredericksburg, Texas: Shearer Publishing, 1987.
- The Texas Hill Country— A Food and Wine Lover’s Paradise Thompson-Anderson, Terry. Fredericksburg, Texas: Shearer Publishing, 2008.