History & Heritage Events
- JUL 30 2016 Gillespie County Bundes Schuetzenfest Old-fashioned German target shooting competition where the winner becomes the “Schuetzenkoenig” or “King of Marksmen” until the next year’s competition. Spectators are welcome and are free. Barbecue, hamburgers and drinks will be available for sale. To be held at the Bear Creek Shooting Range, 2660 Center Point Rd off of Highway 16 South. Hosted by the Bear […]
- AUG 05 2016 Willow City Historic School Open House Annual former school students and teachers gather and celebrate. Friday at 6:30 pm enjoy a covered dish meal followed by games of “42” dominoes and socializing. Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm enjoy open house tours, memorabilia and information on school history prior to its closing in 1961. This third Willow City School building […]
- AUG 10 2016 Nimitz Junior Corps at the National Museum of the Pacific War (Aug) Kid friendly activities where participants get a hands on learning experience. In this session, learn about why the home front held nighttime drills, also known as Blackouts, and how to make a blackout flashlight. Space is limited. To register, please call or email Stefanie Lebens at firstname.lastname@example.org 10 am. $5 per person.
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- Chester W. Nimitz, Admiral of the Hills. Casad, Dede W. and Driscoll, Frank A. Austin, Texas: Eakin Press, 1983.
- Lyman Wight, The Wild Ram of the Mountain Wight, Jermy Benton. Star Valley, Wyoming: Afton Thrifty Print, 1997.
- Fredericksburg, Texas: 150 Years of Paintings and Drawings Maguire, Jack. Fredericksburg, Texas: Burdett & Associates, 1995.