History & Heritage Events
- NOV 29 2014 Frontier Day at Fort Martin Scott This annual event features living history re-enactors, pioneer crafts, chuckwagon food, old-west shootouts, Native Americans, storytellers, musicians and hands-on activities for the kids. There’s something for the entire family! 10 am to 4 pm. Free admission.
- DEC 07 2014 Pearl Harbor Day Observance at the National Museum of the Pacific War The National Museum of the Pacific War will be paying homage to those who served the United States on December 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor. 12:25 pm marks the exact time the attack started on Pearl Harbor. Patriotic music, presentation of colors, rifle salute an guest keynote speaker will all be a part of the [...]
- DEC 21 2014 45th Annual LBJ Tree Lighting Come join the Texas Hill Country community in this special tradition started 45 years ago by President and Mrs. Johnson. Enjoy carolers, a live nativity, Santa Claus, refreshments and, of course, the spectacular tree lighting. Then step back in time to the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm to enjoy special German cookies and cakes amid glowing [...]
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- Lyman Wight, The Wild Ram of the Mountain Wight, Jermy Benton. Star Valley, Wyoming: Afton Thrifty Print, 1997.
- Texas Hill Country Miller, George Oxford. Stillwater, Minnesota: Voyageur Press, Inc., 1991.
- Pioneers in God’s Hills (Volume II) Gillespie County Historical Society. Austin, Texas: Boeckmann-Jones, 1974.