History & Heritage Events
- JUL 29 2017 122nd Annual Gillespie County Bundes Schuetzenfest Old-fashioned German target shooting competition where the winner becomes the “Schuetzenkoenig” or “King of Marksmen” and reigns until the next year’s competition. Spectators are welcome and are free. Barbecue, hamburgers and drinks will be available for sale. To be held at the Grapetown Shooting Range off the Old San Antonio Rd. Opening ceremony and Parade of Shooting […]
- AUG 05 2017 Texas Ranger Day and History Symposium at the Texas Rangers Heritage Center Honoring those who have served and those still commissioned with a two-part event featuring historians and educational programs including Ranger Camp set ups and cannon firing. Tickets for the Symposium are $25 the day of the event and include lunch and parking. Cost for Ranger Camp only is a $10 parking fee per carload. Food […]
- AUG 05 2017 WWII Pacific Combat Program at the National Museum of the Pacific War (Aug) The hottest show in Fredericksburg is back and better than ever! Following an $8 million dollar renovation to the Pacific Combat Zone, the National Museum of the Pacific War’s WWII Pacific Combat Program once again will bring history to life for visitors. With an expanded battlefield including a Japanese-controlled hill, trench and cave fighting positions, […]
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- The Texas Hill Country— A Food and Wine Lover’s Paradise Thompson-Anderson, Terry. Fredericksburg, Texas: Shearer Publishing, 2008.
- Texas Hill Country Miller, George Oxford. Stillwater, Minnesota: Voyageur Press, Inc., 1991.
- Pioneers in God’s Hills Gillespie County Historical Society. Austin, Texas: Eakin Publications, Inc., 1960.