History & Heritage Events
- JUN 12 2015 30th Annual Antique Tractor & Engine Club Show 2015 Some of the activities held each year include but are not limited to: tractor displays, engine displays, blacksmithing, antique tractor pulls, agricultural machinery demonstrations such as thrashing wheat and baling straw, several different corn processing demonstrations and a tractor parade that features the tractors participating in the show, giving a brief history on each. Children’s […]
- JUN 13 2015 Historic Schools Open House (Crabapple and Willow City) These schools are located on the year round Gillespie County Rural Schools Trail and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Stop by for a visit with former students and community members and combine a scenic driving tour with stops along the way. The Willow City School will be featuring the newly conserved painted […]
- JUN 13 2015 Make a Knot Doll and Games from the Past at the Pioneer Museum A knot doll is an antique doll that pioneer children enjoyed and made from two pieces of fabric and stuffing. Participants must be 5 years or older to make the knot or pocket doll which requires hand sewing with needle and thread. Boys will enjoy learning, making and playing games from pioneer days past. 10 am […]
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- Pioneers in God’s Hills Gillespie County Historical Society. Austin, Texas: Eakin Publications, Inc., 1960.
- Pioneers in God’s Hills (Volume II) Gillespie County Historical Society. Austin, Texas: Boeckmann-Jones, 1974.
- Old Home and Buildings of Fredericksburg Kowert, Elise. Fredericksburg, Texas: Fredericksburg Publishing Company, 1977.