History & Heritage Events
- DEC 10 2016 Kinderfest at the Pioneer Museum 2016 Continuing a long-standing German tradition, St. Nicholas always makes a stop at the Pioneer Museum in Fredericksburg to fill stockings of boys and girls at the annual Kinderfest. Children are invited to hang their Christmas stockings over a large hearth in anticipation of a visit from St. Nicholas. Children will enjoy singing, story-telling, and craft […]
- DEC 18 2016 47th Annual LBJ Tree Lighting Come join the Texas Hill Country community in this special tradition started 47 years ago by President and Mrs. Johnson. Enjoy carolers, a live nativity, Santa Claus, refreshments and, of course, the spectacular tree lighting. Then step back in time to the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm to enjoy special German cookies and cakes amid glowing […]
- DEC 26 2016 Zweite Weihnachten “Second Christmas”, the German tradition of good food, drink, music and fellowship with friends. Try a traditional baked Stollen or a glass of warm Gluhwein. Event to be held at the Gillespie County Historical Society Social Hall. Sponsored by the Fredericksburg German Club. 2 to 5 pm.
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- The German Texans Lich, Glen E. San Antonio, Texas: The University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures, 1981.
- German Pioneers in Texas Biggers, Don H. Fredericksburg, Texas: Fredericksburg Publishing Company, 1925.
- Jacob Brodbeck Reached for the Sky in Texas Tatsch, Anita. Fredericksburg, Texas: Dietel & Son Printing, 1986.