History & Heritage Events
- DEC 26 2014 Zweite Weihnachten 2014 “Second Christmas”, the German tradition of good food, drink, music and fellowship with friends hosted by the Fredericksburg German Club. Try a traditional baked Stollen or a glass of warm Gluhwein. At the Gillespie County Historical Society Social Hall. 2 to 4:30 pm. Free.
- DEC 26 2014 Candlelight Tour at the Pioneer Museum Come home for the holidays to attend the Candlelight Tour at Pioneer Museum Complex. Bring your family to experience the traditional culture and German traditions of visiting with family and friends during the twelve days of Christmas. It was a tradition to visit homes of family and friends to take part in Krist Baum (Christmas [...]
- JAN 16 2015 Talks & Tours with the Curator at the National Museum of the Pacific War Join us for a unique personal tour through the museum’s curatorial areas and artifacts and archival storage led by the Curator of Collections, Mike Lebens. Locked, environmentally controlled storage areas housing nearly 45,000 WWII items will be unlocked during this white glove tour. Tour is limited to the first 10 people ages 18 and up. [...]
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- Chester W. Nimitz, Admiral of the Hills. Casad, Dede W. and Driscoll, Frank A. Austin, Texas: Eakin Press, 1983.
- Pioneers in God’s Hills Gillespie County Historical Society. Austin, Texas: Eakin Publications, Inc., 1960.
- Fredericksburg, Texas — Living With the Past Watt, Don & Lynn. Fredericksburg, Texas: Shearer Publishing, 1987.