History & Heritage Events
- FEB 13 2015 Victor Jorgensen Photography Exhibit at the National Museum of the Pacific War View images by one of the first photographers chosen to become part of the Naval Aviation Photographic Unit who traveled widely while documenting World War II. During regular business hours at the George H. W. Bush Gallery in the National Museum of the Pacific War.
- FEB 14 2015 Cave Creek Historic School Open House This month featuring the Cave Creek Historic School which is located on the year-round Gillespie County Rural Schools Trail and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Enjoy open house tours, memorabilia and information on the school’s history. 11 am to 4 pm. Donations appreciated.
- FEB 28 2015 Smokehouse Secrets at LBJ State Park & Historic Site From stuffing to storage, discover how sausage, bacon and ham were cured a century ago, before electricity and refrigeration came to LBJ Country. At the Lyndon B. Johnson State Park and Historic Site. 10 am to 3 pm. Free, but donations are appreciated.
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- Pioneers in God’s Hills (Volume II) Gillespie County Historical Society. Austin, Texas: Boeckmann-Jones, 1974.
- Historic Homes In and Around Fredericksburg Kowert, Elise. Fredericksburg, Texas: Fredericksburg Publishing Company, 1980.
- Texas Hill Country Miller, George Oxford. Stillwater, Minnesota: Voyageur Press, Inc., 1991.