History & Heritage Events
- OCT 07 2016 Old Sport Aircraft Rides at the Gillespie County Airport Experience the Golden Age in a 1927 Travel Air biplane as you fly side-by-side with a friend over Main Street and the beautiful Texas Hill Country countryside. Old Sport seats two passengers. Call for more info and to book your time slot. Experience lasts approximately 15-20 minutes. Proceeds support volunteer-maintained Ranger Antique Airfield. $75/person. 9 am […]
- OCT 07 2016 Talks & Tours with the Curator at the National Museum of the Pacific War (Oct) Meet the Curator of the “Norman Rockwell in the 1940’s” Exhibit, Thomas C. Daly. Tour limited to the first 10 people ages 18 and up. Please call (830) 997-8600 ext. 223 to register. 10 AM. $10 per person includes a ticket to the museum.
- OCT 08 2016 Historic Schools Open House (Williams Creek (Albert) and Junction) These schools are located on the year-round Gillespie County Rural Schools Trail and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Docents will be available to share the schools’ history. Check out the bell that called the students to class and other interesting artifacts. 11 AM to 4 PM. Free.
This is simply a sampling of books that have been written about Fredericksburg, Gillespie County and the Texas Hill Country. Some titles are no longer in print.
- Jacob Brodbeck Reached for the Sky in Texas Tatsch, Anita. Fredericksburg, Texas: Dietel & Son Printing, 1986.
- Fredericksburg, Texas — Living With the Past Watt, Don & Lynn. Fredericksburg, Texas: Shearer Publishing, 1987.
- Claudia Taylor (Lady Bird) Johnson Horwitz, Margot F. New York, New York: Children’s Press, 1998.