Thanksgiving Weekend Getaway OCT 17 2018
There’s plenty to be thankful for in Fredericksburg, so grab the kids and your relatives and head to the Texas Hill Country for a fun Thanksgiving getaway! Here are great Fredericksburg to-do’s that are for the whole family:
- Plan your Turkey Day meal by checking which restaurants are open on Thanksgiving Day in Fredericksburg.
- Two-step or tap your toes to some great live music by Dale Watson during the Thanksgiving Ball in Luckenbach Texas on Wednesday, November 21. Luckenbach’s iconic dancehall is the perfect place to take your family photo for the annual Christmas card.
- Learn a new recipe during Black Friday Cooking Demos at Das Peach Haus on Friday, November 23, at the Culinary Adventure Cooking School. No sign-up is required and seating is first come, first served.
- Kick off the holidays with twinkling Christmas lights at the lighting of the German Christmas Pyramid and the Community Christmas Tree on Friday, November 23. Insider tip: Bring your camera for tons of photo opportunities (even one with Santa Claus) – especially for those last minute Christmas cards!
- If skates are more your style, head to Marktplatz to enjoy outdoor ice skating as Eisbahn makes its annual debut the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 23 (and runs through Sunday, January 6, 2019). Race your friends and family around the rink, take a spin or two, or just try to keep your balance – no matter your skill level you’re bound to have a blast!
- Enjoy a festive, high-energy show with classic Christmas tunes and all the hits of the Beach Boys during “Surfin’ Christmas” at Rockbox Theater on Friday and Saturday, November 23 and 24.
- Go on a treasure hunting adventure at the Fredericksburg Trade Days Holiday Encore, where you can shop seven barns and more than 400 vendors who will have the perfect gift for anyone on your Christmas list, or attend The Peddler Show, where you’ll find three buildings of talented designers, artisans and craftsmen from all over the country. For a full list of Thanksgiving weekend shopping opportunities, click here.
- Run off some of those Thanksgiving eats during the 8th Annual Turkey Trot and 10K Run/Walk on Saturday, November 24.
- Try your hand at holiday crafts and activities from the early 1900’s at the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm on Saturday, November 24. Learn about edible ornaments, wreath and candle making and more!
- Explore your creative side with an Art and Vino Painting Class on Saturday, November 24. Paint, canvas, and brushes are provided to complete the featured artwork for the evening “Merry & Bright.”
- Attend a Chef’s Table Dinner at Das Peach Haus on Saturday, November 24. The Chef’s Table event will feature its own one-time menu and will celebrate the gathering of great people around a bountiful table designed to inspire great conversation and lasting friendships.
- Take it easy and casually shop the more than 150 shops, boutiques and art galleries along Main Street. Catch up on your Christmas list while admiring the holiday décor that makes everyone smile with holiday cheer.
- Fill up your water bottles and hike Enchanted Rock to wake up from that tryptophan stupor. The beautiful autumn scenery and cooler temperatures make for an enjoyable adventure. The trek to the summit or the trails around the beautiful granite dome may not be a cakewalk, but it’s certainly a ton of fun for the whole family. Don’t forget your camera! Note: Enchanted Rock State Natural Area is open Thanksgiving Day, but be sure to come early – the park may reach capacity!
For more ideas on how to enjoy the holidays in Fredericksburg, visit holidays.visitfredericksburgtx.com.