Thanksgiving Weekend Getaway OCT 24 2017
There’s plenty to be thankful for in Fredericksburg, so grab the kids and your relatives and head to the Texas Hill Country for a fun Thanksgiving getaway! Here are great Fredericksburg to-do’s that are for the whole family:
- Kick off the holidays with twinkling Christmas lights at the lighting of the German Christmas Pyramid and the Community Christmas Tree on Friday, November 24. Insider tip: Bring your camera for tons of photo opportunities (even one with Santa Claus) – especially for those last minute Christmas cards!
- If skates are more your style, head to Marktplatz to enjoy outdoor ice skating as Eisbahn makes its annual debut the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 24 (and runs through Sunday, January 7, 2018). Race your friends and family around the rink, take a spin or two, or just try to keep your balance – no matter your skill level you’re bound to have a blast!
- Enjoy a festive, high-energy show with classic Christmas tunes during “A Christmas Party” at Rockbox Theater on weekends from Friday, November 24, through Sunday, December 24.
- Get into the holiday spirit and visit St. Nick’s Christmas Tree Farm, where you can chop down your very own Christmas tree or pick out a beautiful fragrant wreath or garland – all while enjoying free popcorn and candy canes!
- Go on a treasure hunting adventure at the Fredericksburg Trade Days Holiday Encore, where you can shop seven barns and more than 400 vendors who will have the perfect gift for anyone on your Christmas list, or attend The Peddler Show, where you’ll find three buildings of talented designers, artisans and craftsmen from all over the country. For a full list of Thanksgiving weekend shopping opportunities, click here.
- Try your hand at holiday crafts and activities from the early 1900’s at the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm on Saturday, November 25. Learn about edible ornaments, wreath and candle making and more!
- Two-step or tap your toes to some great live music by Cory Morrow and Read Southall during the Thanksgiving Ball in Luckenbach Texas on Saturday, November 25. Luckenbach’s iconic dancehall is the perfect place to take your family photo for the annual Christmas card.
- Hunters, history buffs and friends of the Fort are invited to attend the 2nd Annual Hunters’ Night Out at Fort Martin Scott on Saturday, November 25, featuring beer, brats and biscuits along with raffles of hunting items, music and campfire stories.
- Take it easy and casually shop the more than 150 shops, boutiques and art galleries along Main Street. Catch up on your Christmas list while admiring the holiday décor that makes everyone smile with holiday cheer.
- Fill up your water bottles and hike Enchanted Rock to wake up from that tryptophan stupor. The beautiful autumn scenery and cooler temperatures make for an enjoyable adventure. The trek to the summit or the trails around the beautiful granite dome may not be a cakewalk, but it’s certainly a ton of fun for the whole family. Don’t forget your camera! Note: Enchanted Rock State Natural Area is open Thanksgiving Day, but be sure to come early – the park may reach capacity!
For more ideas on holiday fun in Fredericksburg, visit www.VisitFredericksburgTX.com/holiday.