Find a treasure trove of locally made keepsakes! JUN 20 2017
This time, forgo the snow globes and bring home something authentically Fredericksburg. You can walk into almost any shop and find something made locally. Here are a few ideas to get with your “I (heart) FBG” t-shirt.
- Locally Created Art: Fredericksburg and Gillespie County has an entire population of local artisans, so just about every one of our 20 art galleries (and several other shops) will feature work by local artists. You’d be surprised at the number of our local artists that show regionally, nationally and even internationally as well. Discover stunning woodwork, painting, mixed media, mosaics, sculpture, ceramics — even unique stone collage art. Keep your eyes open. You may hear something calling your name.
- Food Craftsmen: The majority of our restaurants are local, too. Did you know we have a “no chains on Main” philosophy? So most of the restaurants in this area are locally owned and operated with creative chefs crafting the menus. In addition, Fredericksburg is home to Opa’s Smoked Meats and Fisher & Wieser Specialty Foods—both with retail shops where you can taste and “get something to go.” Satisfy your sweet tooth with homemade candy, fudge, ice cream and every flavor of popcorn you can imagine at one of our sweet spots. Last but not least, don’t forget our peaches, blackberries and strawberries. Pick em’ right off the vine (or tree) — when they’re in season, of course.
- Wineries & Breweries: If you weren’t aware of our area wineries, you need to stop reading and start planning immediately. There are more than two dozen wineries and tasting rooms located in Fredericksburg and Gillespie County. In addition to our 290 Wine Trail which guides you to countless wineries in and around Gillespie County, our Urban Wine Trail will guide you to all the tasting rooms located in the Fredericksburg downtown area. Plus two craft breweries. (…and another coming soon!) Some would argue this is the best way to get a taste of the Texas Hill Country. LOCAL TIP: The Urban Wine Trail is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time in Fredericksburg but want to sample several wineries but still fit in shopping, cuisine and music.
- Jewelry: This is another popular “souvenir” to bring home. Fredericksburg has several amazing jewelry artisans ranging from elegant stones to beautiful beaded work to charms and pendants of every kind. Getting engaged in Fredericksburg? What better way to commemorate the occasion than by getting your rings from one of our local jewelers.
- Boots: Nothing says “Texas” like a pair of custom fit and custom designed cowboy boots. Stop by L.M. Easterling Custom Boot Company and get fitted during your visit and your one-of-a-kind souvenir will arrive after you get home.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Be sure to ask when you go into stores about any locally crafted items they may have. Happy shopping!
See our full list of shops here.