6 Must-Dos this Fourth of July Weekend in Fredericksburg JUN 03 2017
- Cheer for the ponies at the Gillespie County Fairgrounds during the live pari-mutuel quarter horse and thoroughbred races. Nibble on local eats and enjoy the shaded stands while watching thoroughbred horse racing during the summer 2017 horse racing season debut at “Gillespie Downs”- the Gillespie County Race Track. Parents can even grab a cold one and place a few bets for their favorites, while everyone is sure to admire the horses as they thunder down the track. The family-friendly Gillespie County Race Track opens at 11:00 a.m. and post times begin at 1:00 p.m. Insider Tip: Skip the line by purchasing tickets online.
- Come and see the newly renovated Pacific Combat Zone and learn firsthand what it was like during WWII specifically in the Pacific. The WWII Pacific Combat Program at the National Museum of the Pacific War runs twice a day on Saturday and Sunday, July 1st and 2nd. Grab some tickets and see history come to life.
- Deck the kids out in their finest Fourth of July gear and kick off the Fourth of July festivities on Tuesday, July 4, 8:30 a.m. during the annual July Fourth Kiddie Parade at Marktplatz, featuring bicycles, pets, wagons and of course, kiddos decked out in red, white and blue! After the kiddie parade, grab a spot on Main Street and stick around for the July Fourth Community Parade which kicks off at 10:00 a.m. After the parade, a special Patriotic Program will take place at Marktplatz.
- After shopping Main Street, cool off with a sweet treat, like delicious peach ice cream or an old-fashioned coke float at Clear River Pecan Company on Main Street. Clear River Pecan Company boasts more than 30 ice cream flavors available each day- so pace yourself!
- Enjoy a number of special events throughout the day:
- Sample chili, enjoy entertaining chili cook showmanship, wine tasting and live music during the July 4th Chili Cookoff at Becker Vineyards from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Celebrate Independence Day the old-fashioned way during July 4th at the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Participate in washer pitching, sack and stick-horse races, corn husk doll making, and enjoy old-fashioned BBQ and ice cream demonstrations.
- Enjoy a special day of remembrance, fun and live music hosted by Walt & Tina Wilkins from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Enjoy a raffle, silent auction, food trailers, the World Famous Lawn Mower Parade and more during the “Live Free & Fly” 4th of July Celebration in Luckenbach Texas.
- Wrap up the day with the annual July Fourth fireworks show at Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park at around 9:30 p.m. Spread out your blankets on the grass, enjoy your snacks and drinks and watch the starry Texas Hill Country sky burst with color.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg! For a full line-up of events this Fourth of July, click here.