Texas Hill Country Heritage Must-Do’s APR 12 2017
History and heritage abound in Fredericksburg. Experience a little bit of that history yourself with these must-do’s:
- Stay in a Sunday House. Sunday houses were once used by the German pioneers as a weekend house when they came to town to trade or go to church. Some of these historic one-room houses can now be rented out as a B&B, or you can stay in a modern B&B modeled after the historic Sunday houses!
- Walking Tour of Fredericksburg’s Historic District. Download our walking tour map or pick up a copy at the Visitor Information Center at 302 East Austin Street, and pull on some comfy shoes to explore a self-guided tour of Fredericksburg’s Historic District. Thirty sites have been selected to illustrate the Fredericksburg story and architecture styles that have evolved over the decades.
- Gillespie County Country Schools Driving Trail. View 12 historic country schools along a picturesque driving trail through Gillespie County. Download a free map of the driving trail, or pick one up at the Visitor Information Center at 302 East Austin Street. The schools also host special open house events throughout the year with former students in attendance to share and reminisce about school stories from the past.
- Fredericksburg Trolley Tours. Hop aboard the shiny new Fredericksburg Trolley for the “Historic Fredericksburg Tour,” a narrated tour of Fredericksburg’s Historic District, or the “Presidential Tour,” which takes you out to nearby Stonewall for a tour of the Lyndon B. Johnson State and National Historical Parks.
- Visit Fredericksburg’s museums and historic sites. Fredericksburg is home to a variety of museums and historic sites that history buffs surely shouldn’t miss! Click here for a list of ideas.
For more tips to plan for your next Fredericksburg adventure, visit www.VisitFredericksburgTX.com.
Categories: History and Heritage